“Have never felt so at home in a bar before as I did in The Barrelhouse Flats last night. Prohibition era cocktails, wearing my red fox coat, and sipping out of vintage punch cups. Can I get an AMEN!”—
I straight up cannot bake which is especially sad for me because I have such aspirations to be a great baker. Only I don’t measure and I think that’s one of those things that really good bakers do really well.
Luckily, for my roommate’s birthday I remembered my all time most favorite cake. When I was little, my mom made me my very own ice cream cake. It meant more to me than any of the store bought cakes I had begged for in previous years.
Here’s what you need:
Angel food cake (either one big one or a few little ones)
Your favorite ice cream flavors
Heavy whipping cream
Here’s How to Make It:
1. Cut the angel food horizontally in as many layers as you’d like. If you have little cakes, just cut horizontally in half.
2. You can choose to drizzle some amaretto on each layer. Then spread as much ice cream on each layer as your heart can stand.
3. Pop the cake(s) back in the freezer while you prepare the whipped cream.
4. Prepare the whipped cream! Use a container of heavy whipping cream,confectioners sugar (probably half a tablespoon) to taste, a couple teaspoons of vanilla. Whip in a chilled bowl. You’ll want soft peaks - we’re not making meringue so you’ll be standing over the bowl with an electric beater on high for several minutes.
5. Take cakes out of the freezer and frost with ample amounts of whipped cream. You can sprinkle a little regular cane sugar on top of the cake(s) to provide a little sweet crunch on top.
6. Pop cakes back in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
This idiot-proof cake is a huge hit, stupid easy to make and delicious. You can make fun variations using different flavored whipped creams, fudges/caramels and a variety of fruits to decorate. Enjoy!